So you have a walk-in closet...

By | 7:50 AM Leave a Comment
**Future blog posts will be listed on my personal website at www.katsprint.com/blog**

Before my husband and I moved into our home, I claimed the smallest bedroom in the house to be my "closet". This room will someday turn into a baby's room, but for now, it's a closet. Over the past couple of years I've been making subtle changes here and there with a goal to make the room feel like I'm going shopping every time I enter the room. 

If you have a walk-in closet or a closet room, you should make this your goal, too. Next time you walk into a store, look around and take notice of the layout, colors, shelving, etc. Below are a couple pictures from my closet and what I did to get there.

Shoe Racks / Vanity
Shoe Racks
I have ALWAYS had a lot of shoes, and have struggled through the years with finding shoe racks that can hold the weight and also look nice. I think it's nice to be able to see all of my shoe options at once, otherwise I will forget I have them. After doing a lot of research on the best way to showcase your shoes without doing an entire makeover on the room, I purchased these 4 of these, ClosetMaid 5-Shelf Organizer - White from Target. It's best to find someone who has a target card so you can get the free shipping, otherwise shipping is SOOO expensive. 


What I liked about these shelves: 

  • Color: They are white, which is very versatile.
  • Quantity of shelves: Unlike most book shelves, these have 5, which are nearly perfect for most pairs of shoes. Most book cases out there come with huge gaps, for shoes, you just need a small area.
  • Size: I was working with a limited amount of space, and these shelves were a perfect size, no too big, and not too small. They also feel very secure without having to nail them to the wall.
What I did to better suit my closet:
  • I had to use white bars from my old shoe rack in order to get my heels to work with these shelves. Any heel that was taller than 3 inches needed to be hung or placed at the top of the shelves. Not that big of a deal, and I think they work great (I can always go back to the shelves if I want to).
  • Luckily these shelves have the ability to be stacked, and come with little wooden pieces to help them stack without moving.
  • No backing. I hate those white backings that come with these type of shelves, I also think it's nice to see through the back at the color on your wall (personal preference).


Vanity
I think every girl/woman should inherit, or own a cute, classy vanity. Mine was given to me by my great grand mother, and I plan to keep it until I can hand it down myself. A vanity adds a certain 'womanly' feeling to the room.

Vanity's also help store all of your beauty items. Personally, I think it looks sloppy to have all of your makeup and hair items sitting out for all to see.


Leggings, Purses, and Scarves
Leggings
This year I started purchasing more leggings, and I wear them all of the time. I got these two small black baskets from the Dollar Tree, and rolled the leggings up in them. They look cute, and are easy to access.






Purses/Scarves
Other items I seem to be collecting are purses, clutches and scarves (we will get to the clutches in a second). You can't see them in the picture, but I purchased 5 Gatehouse 2-Pack Double Clothes Hooks from Lowe's and simply hung them from the hooks. A good way to get the purses to hang freely is to stagger the hooks, left to right.


Closet Organization
Color Code your Clothing
This will make your life so much easier. You can even take it one step further and organize by type, too. For me, one of the first thing I decide on are leggings or jeans, then I move to my top. So based on whatever color/type pants I've chosen, will help me determine the color and type of shirt.

I also have bins at the top which are categorized by work-out clothes, tanks, pants, undergarments, and sweaters. Bins are always a nice organizational tool, too.


You'll notice there are some more shoes at the bottom of the closet. Like stores do, I took my flip flops/gladiators and stacked them in 2 wicker bins. This will be so much nicer come summer time when i am deciding which ones to wear.



Clutches/Belts
Again, I love to have my accessories out in the open for me to see. I will admit that these are not all of my clutches, I do have some of them stuffed in the hanging purses. I hung 2 Ribba Photo Ledges from Ikea on the wall (psst, they come in 2 sizes, 21 and 45in.) and then carefully stacked my clutches on top of them. Each ledge can hold 11 pounds, so don't worry about the weight part.

For my belts, I simply hung them from 2 wooden hooks that were given to me by my mom. You could also purchase more of the hooks I mentioned above and hang them from there, too.



These subtle changes will help make a tiny bedroom feel like your own clothing store each time you walk in. There are a couple of other ideas I have in the future, check them out below:

Future Ideas
Lighting // Purchase a cuter lighting fixture, like a chandelier

Wall Color // I liked it when we moved in because it is so bright, but now I am thinking I want to tone it down to a more neutral color.

Curtains // Right now I have some nice full length curtains (always purchase full length if you want to make your room feel taller) that are brown. I would like to allow for more light to show through, but with maintaining privacy at the same time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment